top of page
Mama Cat Header - Blog Header.png

Our First Visit to the Vet

Updated: Jun 22, 2021

Good morning readers,

We need to talk.

My nice, quiet mornings from pregnancy and post-delivery are over. Everyone is constantly running, jumping, playing, nibbling, and sometimes even screaming! Either Ballou bit Tux too hard or Tux shoved Mina on their way to get breakfast. These kiddos drive me crazy, but I love them. One look from me and they fall in line... for a little while, at least! Thank goodness for all of the toys we have. They allow everyone to get their energy out.

(Psst... this is a slideshow! Click or tap on the arrows on the sides of each picture to scroll through.)

This week we visited the vet. It was the first time for my kittens, and they were scared. I tried to put on a brave face, but I was scared too! The good news is that everything went well and no one had to have a name change. Let me tell you a little about it.

Bright and early on the morning of our appointment, Michelle packed us all up in a carrier and put us in the car. My babies had never left the nursery before and they had no idea what was going on. They were crying and mewing. On the ride to the shelter, Michelle told us not to worry, that she would pick us all up on her way home. I trust my foster mom a lot because she has been nothing but good to me and my babies, but I'll admit that I was a little suspicious. I've heard that line before!

Michelle dropped us off at the shelter and left for work. I didn't like seeing her car leave, I can tell you that! Mika, HTAT's shelter director, put us downstairs in a quiet area away from the other cats. The shelter was full of strange sounds and smells, but once we were in the basement in our own little enclosure, I started to feel better. I set to work washing my kittens so they would look their best for Dr. Nancy, and cuddled them to calm them down a little bit.

Pretty soon Mika came back and brought us up to the examination room. Dr. Nancy was very nice. She pet each of us and told us how beautiful we were. I started to warm up to her immediately.

First, Dr. Nancy weighed each of my babies. She told me I was a good mama and that all of my babies were fat and healthy. I was so glad to hear that! Ballou is my biggest boy at 1.6 pounds, and Tux is my little tyke at just 1.1 pounds.

Then, Dr. Nancy picked each of them up and felt their bodies for any abnormalities. Everything felt soft and normal. Next, she examined their eyes, ears, and noses. Everything was clear and healthy, and no runny gunk anywhere! She checked their lymph nodes for swelling (all good) and listened to their hearts and lungs (perfect). She looked for fleas and parasites (clean as a whistle). Lastly, she tested their joints and watched them walk around. Dr. Nancy said that everyone was coming along just fine and we could go home!

I breathed a sigh of relief as Mika brought us all back downstairs to wait for Michelle. I was thrilled that my babies were happy and healthy! I was even more excited to see Michelle again at the end of the day when she came to pick us up.

We were all so happy to get back home to our cozy nursery. We ran out of the carrier as soon as the door opened and piled into our basket, exhausted and relieved that our vet day was over.

Molly lying on her side, with the three kittens playing around her.
Okay... maybe I was the only tired one.

Now my babies are getting big enough to start weaning (eating solid food) and learning to use the litterbox. I am not too excited at the prospect of sharing my toilet, but I suppose it has to happen sometime!

Molly and two kittens sniff a clean pee pad.
Exploring the pee pad for the first time.

See you next week.

Love, Molly

P.S. Kitten Season is here! Support our fostering efforts by donating to HTAT.


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page